[HeathKit-Radios] Help Connecting Heath SB-610 to SB-101 for recv monitor

Bob Burns G3OOU at AOL.COM
Fri Aug 8 03:14:12 EDT 2008

kf4nsradio at verizon.net writes:

Bob et  al,
Just a little tip regarding the tight slugs/cores in the typical
boatanchor equipment that has been a lifesaver for me considering the
tight supply of the cores.

If I notice any tightness at all during  first attempt to adjust, I
first get out my can of 100% silicone spray and  shoot a short burst of
it in there and let it set for several minutes to  allow penetration
and evaporation of the propellant, then give it a short  twist of the
tool which usually indicates a much more free movement of the  core.
Give it a try.
Good luck.

73, Dick  KF4NS

Hi Dick

Thanks for the advice. I have tried silicon tap grease with some success in
lubricating cores. Years ago when I worked in the electronics industry we used
 to use a Rocol 8S silicon grease for core lubrication / locking but I have
not  been able to trace it today.

I have also discovered that the metal Allen key that fits the standard  Heath
SB line knobs is a really good fit into the RF circuit cores in the SB101
but not the IF cores which are larger. I have used one of these to carefully
move difficult cores and sometimes it will move broken cores that the trimming
tool definitely will not.

73

Bob

G3OOU