HW-100 S-meter problems

Bernie Murphy bernard.murphy at SYMPATICO.CA
Thu Dec 11 20:37:36 EST 2008

I recall having this issue with an SB102 which uses a similar but slightly
different circuit. I did swap out same caps in the S-meter circuit and it
did improve things considerably.

I have an original HW-100 that I built in the 1960s and the S meter still
works perfectly.

Have you confirmed that the S-meter itself is not faulty? Try tapping the
meter when it indicates S-0.

73, Bernie

----- Original Message -----
From: "jsloss" <k7mks at COMCAST.NET>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 3:43 PM
Subject: [HEATH-TEMPE] HW-100 S-meter problems

S-meter intermittently reads correctly and then at times it sits on zero.
At times it will not peg to the right when the RFG is full CCW.

V3 and V4 have been changed. S-meter zero pot checks OK.  P, SG, K, and G
voltages of V3 and V4 check OK per manual and do not change from the normal
S-meter to non-working S-meter situation.  Both relays have been cleaned.

When working correctly it reads over S-9 w/ calibrator signal and then fades
slowley to the non-indicating position of S-0.

Freeze-mist, heat, resoldering connections, tightening board screws so far
have failed to discover the culprit.

Just turned the -100 on and the meter goes full right w/ RFG full CCW.
Calib. signal reads 9+ but wavers up and down a S-unit or so.  Eventually it
will fade down to S-0.

I'm hoping there is someone who has experienced a similar problem - I feel
like I am going around in circles.

Thanks

Joe k7mks