HW-16 can-type capacitors, now FS

Tom NØJMY - AAR7FV tfarl at MCHSI.COM
Fri Feb 1 16:54:46 EST 2008

Hello, all.  I'm back to this wonderful list after an absence of about 5
years.  Thanks, Dave for welcoming me back.  This time, be it ever so
humble, I've got something to offer.  I'm still at work in my quest to
help us guys keep our Heathkit HW-16's running out there.

Toward that end, I am now able to supply new multi-section can-type
filter capacitor for the HW-16, as well as full HW-16 power supply
re-cap kits.  (Please contact me about availability of  multi-section
caps for other radios.)  These are not on my web-site (
www.hayseedhamfest.com ) as yet, but here are the main details:

HW-16 MULTI-SECTION CAP:

These are fresh, brand-new capacitors in twist-loc type cans, as per the
originals.  They are not N.O.S. or re-stuffs.

They are a drop-in replacement for the original cap - no modifications
needed.

They are intended to upgrade as well as replace the original unit.

The operating temperature rating has been raised from 85C to 105C.

The voltage ratings have been increased to more realistically handle
higher secondary voltages due to today's typical a.c. line voltages.

The terminals are identified on the bottom wafer and also on the can,
per the original, i.e. half-moon, square, triangle, and blank. The can
is negative (ground), of course.

The terminals are copper for easy soldering.

They will be furnished with metallic mounting wafers.

Below are the specs of the original units vs. the specs of the new
capacitors:

ORIGINAL (85C)    NEW UNIT  (105C)
40 mfd @ 350V   /   47 @  450V
50 mfd @ 350V   /   47 @  450V
80 mfd @ 200V   /   100 mfd @ 250V
80 mfd @ 300V   /   100 mfd @ 350V

Dimensionally there are no clearance or interference problems. The
height is only 3/16" taller than the original, (3 11/16" vs. 3 1/2").
The diameter is 1 1/2" which is the same diameter as the base of the
original unit (the new can is straight-sided, whereas the upper part of
the original is slightly smaller in diameter).

The prototype has been produced and accepted.  As of 1/31 about a dozen
had been sold.  Full production is expected to begin in about a week to
ten days.

Amateur net for the multi-section cap =  $19.95 ea. + shipping.

Please e-mail me for details regarding availability of other
multi-section caps for Heathkit and other ham gear.  I am in the process
of expanding the line beyond this first unit.
---------------------------------

HW-16 P.S. RECAP KIT:

For convenience, I can supply a kit consisting of the following:

1 - Multi-section cap as per above.
2 - 47 mfd @ 450V 105C radial electrolytic caps (for under chassis
mounting).
2 - 22 mfd @ 160V 105C axial electrolytic cap (for the bias supply).

Amateur net for the kit: $27.95 ea. + postage.

Please e-mail me for details regarding availability of other
multi-section cap kits for Heathkit and other ham gear.  I am in the
process of expanding the line beyond this first unit.

I'd be glad to answer any questions or take orders in advance at the
tfarl at mchsi.com.

Tnx es 73,
Tom NØJMY .  .

--