CW filter weirdness

Emil Dular WD4SCZ at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 12 18:54:41 EST 2008

The 3 crystals are marked with the correct frequencies as is the crystal filter supposedly, 3395.4 kHz  When receiving CW signals the receiver is automatically tuned 1 kHz below the transmit freq by crystal Y1 (3396.4 crystal)and tube V16A. In the transmit mode, tube V16B and the Y3 crystal (3395.4) make the output the same as the incoming from the other station, at least that's how I understand it.

I keep suspecting the CW filter is somehow screwy, no matter what it says on the outside.  Switching the filter from SSB to CW won't make the "zero beat" change as if one of the BFO crystals were off freq? Or am I still missing something?

  Either the center frequency of your filter is incorrect, or the BFO crystal for CW is off frequency.  The center freq is usually stamped on the filter.  Check your manual to see what the BFO freq should be.

  Chris, KL7DM