CW filter weirdness

Emil Dular wd4scz at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 14 08:36:23 EST 2008

> > But, rather than having a wide open
> > response, I would  think a defective filter would have virtually no
> > response.
>
> Not so, Chris.
>
> I have a correct (non-SB-104) Heathkit 400 Hz CW filter in
> my HW-101 that exhibits very high insertion loss, and a very
> strange passband. I think one of the crystals or another
> component in the filter is toast.

Comepletely dead would be easier to figure out than just "sorta screwy." I
have heard of guys taking them apart and fixing them or even tweaking the
freqs to suit their particular rig.  May try that, but in the meantime, I
agree with Ken, I need a known good CW filter to stick in there to either
fix the problem or be sure it is something else