W5M Power Xfrmr Question

Jack Crenshaw jcrens at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Jun 30 22:20:53 EDT 2008

First, it's not a matter of age.  The power transformer in my W5M failed
ca. 1963.  And the filter caps weren't leaking.

It's worth remembering that this is, after all, sort of a souped-up
20-watt amplifier, designed around the 6L6-class KT66's. To get 25 watts
out of them, the KT66's were run at over 500v.  The power supply uses
300v electrolytics in totem pole configuration, because there were no
(and still aren't) 600v electrolytics to be had.

For another clue, look at a picture of the amp itself. All those parts
are packed in there very tightly. Trust me when I tell you that the
power transformer -- in fact, the entire power supply circuitry -- was
being pushed hard, and tranformer failures were, while not common, at
least not rare, either.

Apparently, they're still happening.  See, for example,

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=vintage&n=165054&highlight=W5M&r=&session=

I currently have six W5Ms, waiting for refurbishment. At least two of
them have replacement transformers.  On that note, I should also note
that the replacements are larger, and don't allow the dust cover to be
fitted on.

Jack