sb-303 problem

JD & KK McCrary w4wuq at ARRL.NET
Sat Nov 8 10:22:18 EST 2008

Greetings,

I have just received a 303.  When I tune above 4.3 on the dial (i.e. 3930
MHz) I begin to get noise and the higher I tune the stronger it gets.  At
4.00 MHZ it is 30 over s9.  This is common to all bands on the radio which
leads me to believe it is in the LMO circuit somewhere.  I do not have a
manual right now to know if it is an alignment problem.  This receiver is a
one owner and has been in storage for several years.  He is also a friend of
mine so I knew the radio when it was active.  Another thing is after I leave
the noise area I get a heterodyne at 4.05.  If I stop, the heterodyne stays
but once I tune away in either direction, it goes away.  The receiver
receives really well on any frequency below 4.40 on all bands too.  Trouble
is I like to operate 3970 and 3980 and I am unable to.  (I will check out
the 401 transmitter that goes with it this weekend.)  The 303 is a great
little receiver if I can get it receiving everywhere.  I should be getting
the manual soon, he just couldn't find it.  ( also I ordered a copy incase
he doesn't)

Please reply to w4wuq at arrl.net, unless you think the information might be
useful to the reflector.

73 and thanks,