More details on SM-1210

Bob Groh WA2CKY rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Sun Nov 9 09:57:56 EST 2008

Some one asked for clarification on my writeup on the SM-1210 DVM's in my previous email - they didn't quite understand my somewhat obscure statement about "VDC = 1.85V and R=36K".

Definitely had marbles in my mouth on that one!  So I'll elaborate what I did to test the DVMs, I first set the mode switch to read 'DC Volts (2 VFS range) and then connected a fresh AAA battery to the probes - the reading should be about 1.35V or maybe a bit higher. I read nothing on one DVM and 1.85VDC on the second. So #1 has something wrong and #2 needs to be calibrated.

To test the resistance scale, I pulled a 33K ohm resistor out of the supply cabinet (it measured about 32K on another DVM) and measured it on the two DVMs - the first one showing only a bouncy FS reading, the 2nd showed about 35K. So again #1 is bad and #2 is reading high.

I did not check the current ranges or the AC ranges.  Hope this helps.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY