kick start CW filter

EP Swynar gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Sat Nov 22 11:44:56 EST 2008

Hi Emil,

My experience here is *sorta* similar to your situation there, yet entirely
different again...! FYIW, here's what happened to MY SB-102...

The received audio quality on LSB, ONLY, suddenly began to sound very tinny,
and "pinched" --- similarly, the RF output on LSB was nowhere nearly as high
as what it was on USB.

I suspected that maybe something inside the crystal IF filter had somehow
shifted, electrically --- but then why would the problem only be on LSB?

It turned out that LSB carrier-generating crystal had shifted frequency with
age, enough so that the end result was that a good chunk of the audio was
OUTSIDE the passband of the IF filter...I confimed this by placing the probe
of my digital frequency meter close to the crystal itself.

The fix was simply a swap of the crystal, & all was well again.

Good luck there with your situation...!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ