Hw-9

Brian Wood wood at LPBROADBAND.NET
Mon Oct 13 17:41:47 EDT 2008

http://www.joetracker.com/prices/heathkit.htm shows one sale of an HW-9 on
eBay for $187.50 without the WARC "Band-Pack" and $350 with the Band-Pack
and other accessories. HW-8's ranged from $70 to $142. However, those were
finished rigs. As you probably know, unopened Heathkits can reap huge
rewards for the seller - over $1000 in many cases. Does your friend know
this? There are many who feel that unopened Heathkits should remain
unopened. They certainly will hold their value that way. But an HW-9 is kind
of a special case -- it is still a great little QRP rig and could be used on
the air today as easily as when it was introduced! Does this one have the
WARC "Band-Pack"? If so, it would be worth more. I would say that if you pay
more for it than, say, an Elecraft K2, it would make more sense to buy a K2.
But if you really want the Heathkit experience, then price should be no
object.

As an unopened kit, I think a fair price would be $500 without WARC, $700
with WARC. Once built, its value will drop to about $190-350 depending on
options. Your call!

73,
Brian, W0DZ

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List [mailto:HEATH at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV] On
Behalf Of Kayla
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2008 11:58
To: HEATH at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: [HEATH-TEMPE] Hw-9

Hello to all on the list and thanks for the help.  Wondering what a HW-9
unopened is worth these days.  I have a friend who has one and I'm thinking
of taking it off his hands for a fair price.  I'de like to know high and low

numbers if any of you guys know.

Regards;

UQS

To post - HEATH at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV