HW-16 Final Tube Meltdown

Robert Wood radiorob at SWBELL.NET
Fri Sep 5 18:51:32 EDT 2008

All,

I am encountering a very unusual problem with my HW-16.  All was working well,
and I operated it for about a week during the evenings.  Last night when I
turned it on and monitoring 40 meters, the final turned red hot.  I moved the
switch to the current position, and noticed it was drawing current.  I removed
the 40 meter xtal and key and turned it one while switching bands and
encountered the same issue.  I shut it off and retired for the evening.

After getting home from work this afternoon, I decided to test the 6GE5 in my
Syncore tube tester.  I was hoping the tube may have a short, but the tube
tested ok.  I put the it back into the rig with same results. Before I tear into
the rig, does anyone have any suggestions?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Bob

K5MBA