HW-2036-A synth lock

Kevin Ward n2ie at ARRL.NET
Sat Apr 18 23:41:13 EDT 2009

It's been a long time since I worked on a 2036, but if the radio
receives across the band, and comes out of lock in transmit, this is a
synthesizer problem.  I don't have a schematic any more, but there is a
circuit for shifting the synthesizer frequency in transmit.  If you have
the manual you should be able to locate it.  If it is working properly,
suspect a leaky capacitor in the loop filter or the VCO.

If you are successful in repairing the synthesizer, you will have to
realign that part of the radio.  Don't set the time-base exactly on
frequency or you will have strong birdies on several popular frequencies
on receive.  The solution to that problem is to set the time-base just
slightly off frequency.  Tune across the band and check for birdies.
Repeat this process until they are all gone.  You will have a slight
frequency error which increases as you move up the band, but nobody will
ever notice.  It will be a very small shift.

Good luck.

Kevin  N2IE