low SB-102 xmit audio

Bob Burns G3OOU at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 28 14:37:36 EDT 2009

Hi Sandy

1. There have been several documented instances on this forum of the
balanced modulator balance pot failing on both the SB101 and 102 - not a very
good quality item.

2. I noted on my SB101 that the screen voltage of the pentode mic preamp
was significantly higher than the anode voltage and the gain seemed low so I
changed the screen resistor to 1Meg and the anode resistor to 220K to
correct  the voltages - changing the valve made little difference. This also
appeared to  increase both the gain and dynamic range. Not suggesting that you
make these  changes but you might like to check the voltages on that valve.

3. Can you measure the input level into the mic socket that is required to
got the correct output or if that is not possible what output you do get
for a  known input level. At the same time can you measure the AF level at the
preamp  anode and that going into the balanced modulator for a given output
on say  3.5MHz. I can compare those to my SB101.

4. Can you measure the RF level at the input of the balanced  modulator?

5. Check that the ALC is working correctly on SSB and not holding down the
gain of the IF amplifier on Tx.

6. Check all carbon composition resistors for value with the SB102 switched
 off and cold and the PSU disconnected. After all these years they will
probably  be 30% or more high in value.

I have a completely refurbished SB101 that I can use for comparative
measurements and there are several other forum members who can do the  same.

I have not seen your earlier posts because 'something' was stopping my
Yahoo forum emails from arriving in my AOL inbox for about a month and this was
 only corrected yesterday after I stirred things up somewhat. I lost 165
emails  during that period according to Yahoo.

73

Bob

G3OOU
G-QRP  6907