HO-10, other Station Monitors

Scott Roberts ng19delta at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 18 12:41:14 EDT 2009

A couple weeks back, regarding a question I had about an HO-10, one person replied that they fixed them(a newer version station monitor) all the time, replacing all the caps and resistors...

Anyway, I  can't find the e-mail, but would like to ask the person a couple questions about the HO-10, and see if they could help: I am having the following problem- The set powers up ok, but-
1) I am only getting a trace about 1/8" high, with full vertical gain;
2) I cannot seem to get any indication of tone generator operation- it does not seem to indicate anything when in the testing phase, adjusting the trimmers for 1000 cycle & 1700 cycles;
3) The clamper circuit seems to not be working- in AF position, there is no change beyond going to a dot- it does not move off screen, and in RF position, it moves about 1/2" left, then back to center.

I have done voltage checks on the 6J11 tube, and the only anomaly is the 90v at pin 2 or 7 comes in around 75. The other voltages are ok.

Work done to the unit- All paper & electrolytic caps as well as resistors have been replaced. Also, the tube base was recemented, as it came off during disassembly. Some 40uf electrolytic were replaced with 47uf, and some voltages for caps were increased- 20/300, 20/350, 20/400 were replaced with 20/475 (could this be an issue? I thought the value, not the voltage rating, was the important one...) when the canister electrolytic was replaced with 4 individual electrolytics.(I am a function over form type- I prefer the unit to work and look right outside, than perfect restuffed caps- to little time to do all that restuffing, etc... BTDT)

Can anyone help? Anyone want to fix it?

Thanks,
73
Scott