[Heathkit:Yahoo] How much capacitance

Bob Burns G3OOU at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 23 04:10:50 EDT 2009

Hi Paul

Perhaps I can offer my own thoughts from a slightly different  perspective?

In principle I agree with what you have said. I also think that any item
with a large switch on surge should be protected regardless of whether the
electrolytics have been increased in value or not. Older units are
increasingly  difficult to maintain because of poor availability of replacement parts
and I  have a number of Heath SB-Line units that I want to keep running as
long as  possible.

Perhaps what is needed is a low cost surge protector that can either be
mounted and wired inside the PSU enclosure or outside in a protective case
with its own mains switch and fuse if you are a purist and do not want to
change the original wiring or mechanics in any way. All that is needed is  an
optional enclosure/fuse/switch, a large wattage series resistor, a relay and
a simple network to provide the equivalent of a few seconds delay. The
series resistor and fuse would need to be appropriate to the final load.  The
delay mechanism could be as simple as detecting when the mains on the load
side of the series resistor had risen to say 50% of normal when the resistor
could be shorted out by the relay energising so no actual timer would be
required. This could be accommodated in a small die cast box as an external
unit  or a PCB to be mounted internally. The series resistor may need some
cooling in  the event of a fault condition or an overheat detector with a
power off.  Whatever is considered safe and appropriate.

Anyone up for a quick design job?

73

Bob

G3OOU