How much capacitance - continued part III

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Mon Aug 24 23:02:55 EDT 2009

Heathkit was one of the first, if not the very first,
commercial company to use a voltage-doubler power
supply for the HV supply in its linear amps, although I do
know that the ARRL had similar power supplies shown in
some of its handbooks of the period.

Heathkit engineers did this for several reasons, not the
least of which was because they were very well aware of
the in-rush current problem.

This problem, especially acute in straight (non-voltage-
doubling) power supplies wherein the transformer voltage is
near the DC voltage output, is much less acute in voltage-
doubling supplies since the voltage takes several cycles to
build up to the designed DC output voltage.

In fact, and this is important, it can be easily shown
mathematically that if the total filter capacitance in a
voltage-doubling power supply is LESS THAN 30 MFD,
there will significant voltage sag at rated load.

Do you want to read that again?

I repeat 30 MFD.

What is the total capacitance in the SB-200 with original
caps?

21 MFD at rated capacitance of 125 MFD each.

I am not sure what that is in the SB-220, but I think it is
about the same.

Secondly (and this is almost as important) in a GE Ham
News article written about the time that SSB started to
become common in the amateur ranks, it was clearly
shown by experiment, accompanied by many scope
photos, that especially in SSB/CW service, capacitance
below a certain level resulted in really terribly poor dynamic
regulation, which resulted in very much poorer IMD in SSB,
and other distressing spurious emissions in CW.

I can dig out the GE Ham News article and send a copy to
anyone who wants it for patience and an SASE.

The article discusses and suggests a minimum value for
the OUTPUT capacitance in a choke-input HV filter which
would pretty much eliminate poor dynamic regulation.

Which brings up another point that those who are worried
about in-rush current are forgetting:

The reason that choke-input filters were used in the HV
power supplies of the old days is not because of a worry
about in-rush current:

The main source of concern was the PEAK current that
occurs at every 1/2 cycle in a full-wave center-tap power
supply of "normal" (non-voltage-doubling) design with a
capacitor input. Choke-input eliminated or greatly reduced
this problem.

More later...

Ken W7EKB