How much capacitance - continued V

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Tue Aug 25 00:04:51 EDT 2009

Now, up to this point, I have left an awful lot unsaid, and
have ignored, or, at least, not mentioned, many other
factors that should really be kept in mind when choosing
the size of capacitors in any HV supply.

However, at this point, I think I can list some Rules-de-
Thumb-o when designing power supplies, and especially,
when choosing the values of capacitors included.

1) In the interests of best regulation, keep ALL series
resistances to an absolute minimum. (Duh!) Some of these
are NOT obvious, by the way!

2) In "straight" power supplies (non-multiplying), avoid
capacitor-input type filters unless the voltages involved are
fairly low, and the current needs are low.

3) If you need to use a capacitor-only filter, then by all
means use only and at least a voltage-doubler type. You
may find that a tripler or quadrupler or even more might
work as well or better.

4) If using a voltage multiplying type, make sure your total
filter capacitance is at least 30 mfd.

5) If due to the design of your chosen power transformer, or
the fact that it is "too good" exhibiting VERY low series
resistance, the in-rush current is excessive (proven by
blown diodes, fuses, damaged switches, heavy blinking of
the house lights, or, in a worst case, blown breakers) by all
means use some means of limiting it by either step-starting,
or the use of properly chosen varistors in the input.

6) Keep in mind that although with everything else being
equal and inrush current being kept to a safe value,
capacitance values in a capacitor-only filter above a
"certain value" will only increase the time it takes to achieve
the full design voltage. This is a waste of money, at the
very least. There IS a point of diminishing returns, after all.

7) It is my carefully considered opinion that in the Heathkit
designed linear amps, the SB-220 and the SB-200 at least,
total capacitance values (using MODERN, low-leakage
caps) of from 2 to 5 times the original value is quite safe
and will NOT cause excessive inrush current, but WILL
significantly improve the dynamic regulation, reduce
spurious emissions, and generally make the power supply
and the amp run cooler.

One last thought: if we assume (and this is a very BIG
assumption, and most likely not at all accurate) that the
internal resistance of an uncharged original Heathkit 125
MFD 450 VDC cap is about 1 ohm, then 6 of these in
series would be 6 ohms.

At 2400 VDC, the current into 6 ohms is 400 amps. (We
are ignoring the "time" factor here, obviously.)

We also know that the original Heathkit diodes were 500
VDC at 1 amp types.

I seriously doubt that those would safely handle a surge of
400 amps, even for one cycle.

Thus we have some assurance that the power transformer
does have some means of limiting the current.

With 6 ea NEW capacitors, which have somewhere around
10 times the internal resistance, that surge current would
be 40 amps instead...and this would not depend on the
value of capacitance, but only on the internal resistance.

This assumption may be incorrect, but it does illustrate the
fact that we have to take many, many factors into account,
not JUST the value of capacitance.

In my own case, I can positively state that my substitution
of 330 MFD caps for the original 125 MFD caps in my SB-
200 did not change the switch-on effects for the worse one
iota. In fact, everything appears to be BETTER than it was
originally.

Ken Gordon W7EKB