Electrolytic caps for SB 220 pwr supply

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Sun Dec 6 00:13:57 EST 2009

On 5 Dec 2009 at 15:06, John King wrote:

> I need to replace the electrolytics in my SB 220 and would like to
> know where they can be purchased at a reasonable price. Harbach has
> them, but at a higher price than I think is what I would like to pay.
> Does anyone know of a source? Thanks, John, K5PGW

John:

The filter caps are originally 200 mfd at 450 VDC. You can
use anything larger than those up to at least 560 mfd @
450 VDC, however you should use 105 degree C types,
NOT the 85 degree C versions.

I have bought 450VDC caps off eBay that were perfectly
suitable, and have used them in one of my SB-200s.

Rich Measures has capacitor kits that are a lot less
expensive than Harbach's and work at least as well. In fact,
they work better in my opinion.

Rich also has some information on the SB-220 which you
may find extremely useful.

His website is:

http://www.somis. org/

Rich also sells a kit of parts to make the SB-220 full QSK.

I am using two of those kits in my two SB-200s, and they
work a treat. However, I "reverse key" the system, by
keying the SB-220 and using THAT to key the driver.

Ken W7EKB