Heath HDP-121 Desk Mic Case Cracks

John H. Klingelhoeffer wb4lnm at AOL.COM
Wed Dec 16 20:27:10 EST 2009

I need some comments from successful  experience in mechanically fixing the
housing for a Heathkit HDP-121  desk microphone.  I am using the HDP-121
with a Kenwood TS-130S, and  it works quite well, electrically.

Unfortunately, there is an expansion snap ring inside the back of the
microphone element housing that has exerted outward pressure for (at  least!) 30
years on the thin cast metal case, causing significant cracking in  the
element housing.

Any fix for the fractured casting will probably not survive the expansion
ring returning after repair to its original position, but I'm not sure the
ring is really necessary, anyway.  That being said, has anyone  repaired the
thin casting in the past and have some ideas, or should I just  (ugh!)
replace it with a piece of plastic tubing or something?

Certainly, with all those HDP-121's out there, this must be a problem
others have experienced and found a solution for before.   Thanks in  advance
for your thoughts.

73

John...