It seems that 'free' downloads of Heathkit manuals are no longer available! Copyright issues.

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 7 19:02:04 EST 2009

You can thank Sonny Bono for most of this BTW.
The Copyright Term Extension Act (CTEA) of 1998 extended copyright terms in
the United States by 20 years. Since the Copyright Act of 1976, copyright
would last for the life of the author plus 50 years, or 75 years for a work
of corporate authorship. The Act extended these terms to life of the author
plus 70 years and for works of corporate authorship to 120 years after
creation or 95 years after publication, whichever endpoint is
earlier.Copyright protection for works published prior to January 1, 1978
was increased by 20 years to a total of 95 years from their publication
date.

Expansion of U.S. copyright law

This law, also known as the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, Sonny
Bono Act, or pejoratively as the Mickey Mouse Protection Act, effectively
'froze' the advancement date of the public domain in the United States for
works covered by the older fixed term copyright rules. Under this Act,
additional works made in 1923 or afterwards that were still copyrighted in
1998 will not enter the public domain until 2019 or afterwards.
I remember when laws were made for the public benefit not for a few rich
corporations, mostly foreign. Don't be surprised if they extend copyright
again.

Neil