SB-102 mic level

Emil Dular wd4scz at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 25 11:06:42 EST 2009

I have been running some 80 meter phone lately and the amount of mic gain needed to peak the ALC has slowly gone up. 80 always did take more than the higher bands. I swapped microphones from an HM-12, to EV-638 to a D-104 and negligble difference. Swapped out the 6EA8 at V1 for a 6CQ8 which was always the old trick for low mic drive and no difference.

In tune, you can turn mic level to about 3 o'clock and the plate current will top out at 210 ma.

Anyone else been down this road that has a list of suspects or likely places to start troubleshooting?