Applying the AT-1 Overlay

Tom NØJMY n0jmy at HAYSEEDHAMFEST.COM
Thu Jan 1 14:34:16 EST 2009

Happy New Year, guys!

I've had quite a few inquiries about the availability of more AT-1 front
panel overlays, so I thought I should elaborate a little about how they
are applied.

First of all, yes, I'm happy to report they are available for purchase.
  I've sold five in the last 24 hours.  Pricing is $27.95 + shipping
which runs $4.00 in the U.S - a little higher elsewhere.

The installation is quite simple:  Mix 1/8 tsp of dishwashing liquid to
1 cup water and apply it to front of the radio panel and then to the
adhesive side of the overlay.  I just spread it on with my fingers to
minimize bubbles.

At that point you can just lay the overlay down on the panel and move it
around until you've got it lined up right.

There is one little trick that I do that really helps with the
alignment: I put a couple of chairs just close enough together to
support the panel in between them.  Then I stand a flashlight or other
lamp underneath.  This lets you see the holes through the overlay very
clearly and it's real easy to get it lined up.  The holes I align by on
the AT-1 are the two slide switches.

After you're lined up, just squeegee the water and any bubbles out with
a plastic putty spreader (I think I have a source for those) and let it
set for a day.

The overlays do not come with the holes pre-cut.  Instead, you just flip
it over and trim the edges and holes with an X-Acto or other razor-type
knife with a triangular blade.

You can patch holes pretty easy with the help of one of these.  The
panel in the picture had a 1/2" hole drilled through it by key-jack.
I just "Gorilla Glued" a thin piece of aluminum on the back of the
panel, then filled the hole from in front with JB Weld and sanded it
down.  I tried Bondo but had problems with shrinkage and out-gassing.

That's about it.  If anyone is interested or has any questions please
give me a shout.

Have a Happy and Safe Holiday!

73,
Tom NØJMY.  .