WTD: Electrovoice 638 Microphone

Kent Kressenberg krkress at BELLSOUTH.NET
Sat Jan 10 11:21:16 EST 2009

Hey David (and Group),
   As a DEFINITE microphone NUT, I just had to respond to say that you
aren't necessarily a fool, even if others may see you as such.
I have four radios in my shack and around a DOZEN (maybe MORE) mics that
will work with them. My favorite combination is an E-V 630, much the same as
the ones I used in broadcasting some 30 years ago, with my Kenwood TS-520.
The audio reports are great and I enjoy sitting with it. I also have some
hand mics for them, an amplified Astatic being among my favorites. I bought
an ICOM 718 a couple months ago and at present it only has its standard
hand-mic. I'll have to remedy that eventually; maybe a HEIL?
   I have several different base-mics, like a D-104 (I had to replace the
element and it isn't up to my demands, so I don't use it much), a Shure 444,
an RCA that looks just like the older Yaesu base mics, and  E-V 717 and 721.
   I am also a pro-sound and recording buff, and I have a few dozen mics
there... mainly studio condensers, though I am adding a tube mic or two and
I do have some classic dynamics from Shure and E-V. I will probably begin
thinning out some little-used mics soon, even if a bit reluctantly...
Bottom line is this:
    "How MANY Mics does a man need? Please don't ask dumb questions..."

73 de WB4SYU,

Kent
Chattanooga, TN.