More SB-200 issues

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Mon Jul 6 00:03:25 EDT 2009

On 4 Jul 2009 at 13:44, Michael Hardie wrote:

> Ken,
>
> Is it possible the fils aren't really in the vertical plane - that the
> socket or sockets are not corectly orientated?

Well, Mike, they are about as vertical as they can be. They
are really easy to see too.

BTW, I suppose I should make some things clearer:

First of all, the new Shuguang tube that shorted its filament
to the grid was not properly made, in my opinion.

The filament "press" was very slightly off center and thus
one side of the filament was a bit closer to the grid than the
other side.

I put that down to a "quality control" issue, not to
construction issue.

Comparing the Shuguang tubes to the Cetrons I have, or
even to the single Penta-Labs tube I have, makes it very
clear that the Shuguang tubes are constructed properly and
of very high quality materials.

The plates are large, thick, rugged, and accurately made
and nicely finished.

The grids are made using the proper sized and kind of wire,
are very finely and accurately wound, and appear to be at
least the equal of the Cetrons.

The filaments appear visually to be every bit as good as
those in the Cetrons I have fired up. The color appears
identical too.

The glass appears to be hard, properly and accurately
made, and of sufficient size.

At this point, I have no problem with their construction...only
with their quality control.

Ken W7EKB