SB-102 problem

Brian Wood wood at LPBROADBAND.NET
Sun Jul 12 14:24:00 EDT 2009

The S-meter *now* does go to almost full scale with RFG ccw, not completely
but close enough. It used to stop at S8. That seemed to be fixed by simply
pulling tubes and testing them and putting them back in, so it was probably
corrosion on the tube sockets.

Audio is loud and strong now that I found the open resistor. It was pretty
good before, which is amazing given that the plate voltage on two tubes was
coming from an open screen grid on another tube!

Resistors in the metering circuitry all seem to be about right. I pulled one
meter lead off, and the meter resistance and the other resistances in the
area are all about what you'd expect.

I think the S-meter is now working OK. I have managed to get strong signals
to read as high as 20 over 9. I think that the definition of S9 is different
in the SB-102 than it is today; I think I read in the manual that 100uV ->
S9, whereas today it is 50uV. There's also just the one AGC setting for both
SSB and CW (fast attack, slow decay). So I think I'll call it good and put
it back together and do what we always used to do anyway when giving out
signal reports -- wing it instead of telling people what the S-meter
actually reads!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

73,

Brian