SB-102 - more troubles

Bob Burns G3OOU at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 14 15:45:22 EDT 2009

Hi Brian

Well done so far. These rigs are forty years old now so it is not
surprising that some problems are surfacing.

I would sparingly apply some switch cleaner to all of the switch contacts,
move them back and forth a few times and then remove as much of the cleaner
as  possible with a cotton wool bud or similar. I use Electrolube here in
the UK but  I guess that you have an equivalent in your part of the world.

Your LMO frequncy wobble problem is almost certainly due to the grease on
the variable capacitor having dried up. I have had this problem on an SB101
and  the cure is relatively simple. The quick fix is just to apply a little
switch  cleaner to the bearings and sliding contacts on the tuning capacitor
and it will  thin out the remaining grease. However, the long term fix is
to remove the LMO  and properly clean and re-grease the variable capacitor.
This is a fiddly job  but not technically difficult - just needs some
patience and the right  tools.

When you have finished that task and reassembled the LMO you will need to
check the calibration and align the dial on the drive shaft.

While you are at it, check the preselector and PA variable capacitors as
well.

73

Bob

G3OOU