SB-301 S-meter question

Fred Wittman wittfa19 at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Mar 10 15:06:05 EDT 2009

I've been tinkering with the S-meter on my SB-301 due to weakness.  I found and replaced one out-of-spec resistor (R104-33k) and it came back to life.  However, it still seems stingy compared to my other rigs.  I noticed that the zero set pot actually adjusts the cathode current in V7, a 6BA6.  So here's the question.  What actually effects the sensitivity of the S-meter?  The meter circuit itself reads the secondary grid of V6 (at the low end of T3).  FYI, V6 and V7 both test within spec on my NRI model 69 (basic go/no-go tester), and the overall sensitivity  of the receiver is excellent.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Fred - KG6NYK (now ya know...)