HW-101 CW filter

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sun May 3 19:13:40 EDT 2009

The term "base station" migrated into the amateur radio world primarily in the mid to late 1960s with the rise in VHF FM operation.  A lot of the "pioneers" in amateur FM were also employed in the commercial two-way FM field where an AC operated station has been called a "base station" since before World War II.  Therefore, calling such a station a "base station" came natural to those operators.

The Class "D" Citizen's Radio Service operators also "acquired" the term "base station" from the commercial two-way FM market.

There are other terms that originated in the Amateur Radio Service that were "stolen" by the CBers" like skip and handle.  The term skip was used in the 1930s, if not before, to describe that propagation which involves atmospheric reflection.  You can check editions of the ARRL Amateur Radio Operator's Handbook from the 1930s to verify this.

The term "handle", meaning one's name, was used by amateur radio operators before the 1920s.  However, amateur radio operators "stole" the term from the cowboys (cowpunchers, cowhands, etc.) of the old southwest who were using the term as early as the 1820s.

During the 1960s and 1970s, the CBer amateur radio operator "wannabees" adopted various "slang" that had been a part of amateur radio for decades in an attempt to "sound like" amateur radio operators.  Unfortunately, there is a whole generation of amateur radio operators who believe that these terms had their origins in the CB world and not amateur radio.

Since my background is primarily in the commercial two-way field I have no qualms about the use of the term "base station".  Sometimes I refer to one of my AC operated FM units as a "base station".  Now I do not generally use the term when referring to a unit operating any other mode except for FM.  However, I don't get "bent out of shape" when I hear a newcomer call the equipment at their home a "base station".

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com