Help restroing my new Heathkit

Robert Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Tue May 26 14:27:01 EDT 2009

One quick questions to kick things off - Do you have power in CW?

If you don't have power in CW then the problem is somewhere between the modulator and the final. If you do have power in CW then the problem probably lies someplace between the mic input and the modulator.

Basically you need to some more functional, 'break up the problem into blocks', type of testing.

I don't think the difference in microphone impedance has much if anything to do with the lack of RF.  The overall gain in SSB, frequency response of the audio - that will be affected by microphone impedance.  But  not a total lack of RF power output.

Start with a close examination of the block diagram and ask yourself a batch of questions like 'where can I look to find RF', 'why doesn't CW work (an assumption on my part', etc.  You are probably going to need a VOM or VTVM to probe the problem farther.

73
Bob, WA2CKY

________________________________
From: Eric Mynes <kc8wzb at GMAIL.COM>
To: HEATH at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:58:06 AM
Subject: [HEATH-TEMPE] Help restroing my new Heathkit

Morning all,

Over the holiday weekend I was lucky enough to come across a HW-5400
with the power supply.  The receiver is great.  Spent several hours
yesterday listening to it.  I was told it didn't work.  Of the 2 other
hams I know who have had this rigs, neither have able to get RF out.
The last ham used a standard CB mic to test with.  My research shows
that a 25K ohm mic is required.  I don't have one, but I do have a 50k
ohm mic.  It didnt' give any RF out either.

So,  will a 50k ohm mic work with this rig?  What mic's have you used
with it?  Which mic to you feel is best for it?  Does anyone have an
original mic they would let go for a resonable amount?  What other
things, other than the mic, should I look at as to why there is no RF?
I know the finals would be the first place to look, but I'm asking
for other suggestions.  Before I start hunting down transistors to fix
the finals, I'd like to start with seeing if it just a mic issues.
Besides, when the rig is working, I'll need the mic to be correct to
so that I can make a contact or two on this old rig.

Thanks and 73,
Eric
kc8wzb

To post - HEATH at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV