Help restroing my new Heathkit HW-5400

Guy G. Giacopuzzi gggdds at JS-NET.COM
Tue May 26 20:17:05 EDT 2009

While I own and use a 5400', I'm not an expert...but just a couple
thoughts....were you aware that the rig ever worked?    The 5400' is
very complicated, and a good number of them didn't work...the fellow at
RTO is an expert on them, but the first thing I'd think about is a
wiring error, or a misplaced component on a PC...I've used both the
ElectroVoice 638  (a la Heath...) and the D-104 with a high impedance
cartridge....both work well...I also wouldn't immediately jump to the
final transistors, as my memory says since this unit has SWR protection,
they're much less of a problem than on the SB/HW-104 series....

Guy,
WA6OQQ