FS: Heathkit HW-104

Mark Johnson mvjohn at SYMPATICO.CA
Sat Oct 3 11:44:23 EDT 2009

Heath team;

Before I go to ebay, I thought I'd offer my HW-104 to the list first.

I have a very nice HW-104 that I received in partially built condition. The original owner had problems getting past one of the initial test points and never completed the kit. When I got it, the covers were still wrapped in protective plastic.

The cosmetics are as good as it gets. The covers, knobs, front face etc. are in "as received condition" from Heath.

This radio is somewhat unique in that I upgraded all the appropriate boards and circuits to SB-104A specifications.

 The G board for example is SB-104A part number 85-1931-1 and I rewired the RF Gain control per the SB-104A modifications.

I got the radio working as a straight HW-104 and then using the instructions from the SB-104A Mod kit, I went through all the boards and wiring to upgrade to 104 -A spec. Of course, any mod's to the digital counter circuits were ignored. In essence, this radio is a HW-104A, although I don't believe Heath ever offered such a thing.  Each modified board has a note written on it indicating "SB-104A" spec.

I also installed small trim cap's on the C board, replacing fixed cap's, so that I could get each tuned circuit peaked for proper RF output. The radio puts out 100 watts an 80, 40, 20, and about 90 watts on 15 and 10.  I've used it on air many times with great reports. it works great!!

The radio has the optional CW filter installed.

Given its physical condition, its operational condition and the huge number of bench hours I have in it, I'm asking $325 US for it.

I can provide pictures and more info if required.

Thanks.

Mark V Johnson VE3DJU/VE3DDI