SB310 problems

Mark Johnson mvjohn at SYMPATICO.CA
Sun Oct 18 11:18:36 EDT 2009

Doug, don't give up. I have a lot of Heath stuff and it's great, once
working. In fact, and I know this will stir much nashing and wailing, I
prefer my Heath stuff over my Collins S-Line stuff when it comes to ease of
operation. Wow!

If the HFO adjustments didn't work then its time to look at the actual tuned
circuits. Did you get the HFO adjustments working as per the manual? The
sloping peak adjustment is important as if your too close to the actual
peak, the oscillator will not oscillate.

Since some bands work, then the problem has to be in the front end.

Question, and this is KEY with Heath stuff. Did the radio work at any time
that you know of? If not, then start looking at actual wiring problems and
mistakes. I've had a lot of Heath gear that never worked from day one as
there were mistakes made. Also, those coils are packed in very tight. Make
sure there is no coil connections touching other coil connections. Also make
sure the coil cover is not shorting some coil connections to ground.

As for the SB dial, yea, its not great but with patient and careful
adjustment, it works OK.

Mark V Johnson VE3DJU/VE3DDI