[Heathkit] SB-101 vs 102

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 25 22:19:33 EDT 2009

The SB-102 uses a solid-state LMO that most of which were not manufactured by TRW (manufacturer of the tube-type LMOs) and there is a definite problem with calibration.  The vast majority of solid-state non-TRW LMOs are "on" at the 100 kHz points but can vary as much as over 5 kHz "off" in between.  The tube-type LMOs are always (unless someone has "fooled with" them) well within 1 kHz over the entire 500 kHz that the LMO covers.

There is a good chance, if your particular LMO "tracks" properly, that it was one of the relative few that were made by TRW and furnished with the SB-102.  Most of the TRW solid-state LMOs were used in the SB-303 receivers.  The non-TRW LMOs can be made to track properly.  However, it usually takes a number of hours to accomplish this and therefore doing so is a "labor of love".

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com