IM-25 modification

Rinkie Pollack rinkies at ATT.NET
Fri Sep 18 18:27:30 EDT 2009

Someone beat me to the punch by referencing the Electric Radio article.

By background is in the Hearing Aid biz, and we used to use mercury batteries.  They have been replaced by zinc/air batteries, which I believe are similar in that they maintain full strength until the end.  The current ones are marked 1.4 volts, and are very inexpensive.  The 675 size is the largest (all sizes same price, typically), and if it will fit physically, may be worth a try.

I'm not enough of a technical type to know if that's close enough, but I would think it's worth a try.  I don't think they'll last too long, as they are activated when the tab is pulled off and air gets in, but at places like Costco they're only about 30 cents each on a card.

Ron K2RP

The ones we have now are marked

--- On Fri, 9/18/09, Ron <ronami at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

From: Ron <ronami at YAHOO.COM>
Subject: IM-25 modification
To: HEATH at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
Date: Friday, September 18, 2009, 6:14 AM

The IM-25 solid state VOM is a marked improvement over
the various VTVM models offered by Heathkit over the years.
It can measure current and its voltage Sensitivity is x10 better.

I recently got an IM-25, intending to replace my trusty IM-13
VTVM. Turned out, the IM-25 requires a 1.35V mercury
battery for the Ohms function, that is unobtainable
because Mercury batteries have been banned in most of
the world. While it's still possible to find NOS cells, their
price exceeds the cost of the IM-25.

I wonder if anyone here owns and/or uses an IM-25 and,
if so, how did they solve the problem.

Personally, after much head scratching, I've come up with
a simple and cheap mod for the unit that removes the
need for the Mercurt battery. An addition of just three
components allowed me to power the Ohms circuit by the
existing alkaline dual C battery. This shouldn't affect the
battery life. Accuracy is not quite as good as a Mercury
cell would have provided but certainly, more than enough
for the purpose.

The three components are a diode, resistor and trim pot.
Totsal cost is about 5 bucks. The trim pot could be done
without, if one is willing to go through the hassle of
selecting the resistor to match the diode and an internal
transistor (it's a set and forget situation).

-- Ron

parties involved.  This list and the City of Tempe are not responsible
for losses or misrepresentations of any kind.  Buyer beware!

To post - HEATH at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV