SB-220 Harbach Soft-Start Mod

Robert Laflamme robert.laflamme at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Sat Aug 7 07:37:06 EDT 2010

I'm resotring an SB-220 and having a lot of fun.
The Harbach mods appear to be good quality, however I wish they had schematics of the mod and what it looks like when it's installed. I found a schematic of the 'generic' soft start module and expect it's about the same as the SB-220 version.

In reading the instructions for the soft-start module I can interpret them as wanting to install it in what I think is the 'wrong' place, i.e. the taps on the transformer.

All they say is to install it on the black wires on the 'left side' of the CB's. Depending on how you hold the amp, this could be either way. I understand that this mod is not strictly necessary due to the design of the amp, but I feel it falls into the realm of "cant' hurt".

I've looked at the schematic of the amp and conclude it belongs on the 'secondary' side of the CB's going to the power switch.

Just wondering if there's a schematic out there.

Thanks,
Bob W1SQ