[Heathkit:Yahoo] SB 102 et al

Bob Burns G3OOU at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 12 15:09:15 EDT 2010

In a message dated 12/08/2010 15:57:23 GMT Standard Time, elespe at lisco.com
writes:

I am in  process of repairing a SB-102 in which one of the oscillator coils
has a  broken slug
By the time I extract the broken chips of ferrite from that  tiny coil I
fear
there won't be any coil left
It may be as easy to just  replace the board
It is the one directly behind the board with the  hetrodyde osc crystals
I imagine it is same board for SB-100, 101, and 300,  400 etc
If you have one available please let me know
Thanks
Paul  K0UYA

Hi Paul

I have seen several of these for sale on eBay over the last month or so. Do
 a search for Heathkit SB or Heathkit HW.

You can pick the broken core out if you have a sharp scriber and a lot of
patience. Dust iron cores are much easier to remove as the material is
softer  than ferrite and they can be drilled out, ferrite cannot.

I lubricate the cores with some silicon grease and also make sure that the
trimming tool is a snug fit. If it is a loose fit due to plastic shrinkage
over  the ages then the cores will break much more easily.

73

Bob

Bob F Burns
C Eng,  FIET, MSE
Amateur Radio Callsign: G3OOU
G-QRP Member No: 6907; Zone: 14,  QRA: IO91WH; WAB: TQ25
Joint web site with Crystal Palace Radio &  Electronics Club:
_www.g3oou.co.uk_ (http://www.g3oou.co.uk/)
Technical web site: _www.qsl.net/g3oou _ (http://www.qsl.net/g3oou)