New Subject IB-1103 counter need NL-950S nixies

Tom Chesek tchesek at EPIX.NET
Tue Feb 2 20:05:51 EST 2010

Sorry that I can't help with the parts but I thought that I'd mention my
experience. I have an IB-1103 and the power supply board runs extremely hot
in the +5 volt circuit. You will almost burn your fingertips if you touch
the components on the board. I literally replaced every part on that board
plus the outboard mounted voltage regulators. The regulators don't run hot
and if I disconnect the output from either +5 volt regulator the board runs
cool to the touch. I basically gave up on the problem since I have a few
different freq counters and didn't want to put more time into it.  I have
seen at least 2 IB-1103 counters sell on eBay in the last few years with a
muffin fan mounted to the top of the case so I don't know if that is
indicative of others with a similar issue. The counter works normally but I
can't help but think that any moment it will go up like a piece of burnt
toast.  I haven't taken the time to put an ammeter in each +5 volt branch
but I'm sure that it would help me determine which one has a heavy current
demand. It might be something as simple as a shorted cap somewhere.

Tom K3TVC