Hayseed Hamfest SB401 kit

Morris mdilli at NNWIFI.COM
Fri Jul 30 14:18:04 EDT 2010

Hi Tom and everyone,

Sorry for the long delayed report but I finally got around to using the kit
of capacitors from Hayseed for the SB401.  I'll have to say that the pigtail
leaded ones are a very good choice for replacements.  I was able to use just
one terminal strip to replace the two black "cans" and the result looks
factory-like.   One interesting finding: All four of the 10 ufd capacitors
on the carrier generator board were open.  I think the heat of my attic must
have gotten to them but it was very interesting that they were all open.
Thanks to Tom, I had all new replacements.  The old ones were little black
Aerovox brand.  I checked out the SB-401 on the net this morning and got
good reports.

One additional thing learned that is another topic:  There was an unusual
module included with the SB-401 that I had never heard of.  The 6EA8 audio
tube was removed, the module was plugged into the 6EA8 socket and the tube
plugged into that.  I finally found the documentation and it is attached.