When will I ever learn? (SB-101)

Robert Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Mon Mar 8 23:50:21 EST 2010

Two things come to mind - either the dropping resistor has greatly increased in value or the current drain on the regulated power line is greater than expected.  Wirewound resistors are pretty reliable and usually will not drift higher in value (i.e. they will usually just fail open!) so IMBO #1 is not the most likely possibility.

So I would guess that there is something pulling two much current downstream (i.e. on the regulated power line).  I might suggest you start by measuring the actual drop across the dropping resistor as well as resistors value (then you can calculate the current and power dissipation).based on the basic understanding of how a VR tube regulator works.  Then start eliminating the loads one by one and see where things go.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY

________________________________
From: Kenth B Astrom <kenth at TOTOKET.COM>
To: HEATH at LISTS.TEMPE.GOV
Sent: Mon, March 8, 2010 2:36:31 PM
Subject: Re: [HEATH-TEMPE] When will I ever learn? (SB-101)

Hello Gang,

Many thanks for all the overwhelmingly helpful tips and tricks on this
matter from all of you!

Yes, after cleaning the unit with contact cleaner, I carefully observed the
regulator tube OA2 (V18) when I fired it up again.

Noticing that this VR tube was not lit in any way, I switched it out for one
I had in a Drake TR4C, which I know works, and it still did not light up.

In doing this though I noticed that the R305 (2500 ohm, 7W) next to the
regulator tube V18, was getting EXTREMELY hot.

It also seem to have been 'upgraded' at some point to a 10W resistor,
instead of the original 7W.

Again guys, thanks for all the help - now I have something firm to go by and
also and thanks to Tom K3TVC also an electronic copy of the manual!

I'll keep digging!

Thanks a bunch!

Best Regards
Kenth Astrom / W1JKP