HW100 NIGHTMARE saga THE END!

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Mon Mar 29 16:29:13 EDT 2010

On 29 Mar 2010 at 15:45, Mike Bryce wrote:

> I wouldn't get too worried about the power output, you're still within
> the specifications of the radio. And what are you using to measure the
> rf with? Most wattmeters are good for 10% anyway.

If that. Most are worse than 10%. I think  Dick's readings are at least
consistent with mine.

That is one reason I either use an o'scope and a measured 50 ohm dummy
load, then calculate, or several recently-calibrated watt meters in turn (at
least three), and average their results.

Another way is a properly calibrated RF ammeter and a calibrated 50 ohm
load. Then P=50*(1.48^2) amps or P=50*2.2 at 80 meters.

I am sure there are more sophisticated ways, but these are what I use when I
want to.

Most of the time, I don't bother.

Gotta minimize the number of those darned variables.

As I said, a properly tuned and aligned SB/HW allbander with new or good
tubes should output 110 watts on 80, 100 on 40 through 15, and 90 on 10.

Ken W7EKB