SB-220

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Tue Mar 30 19:39:17 EDT 2010

On 30 Mar 2010 at 17:29, mtippin wrote:

> First one I've had like this, Shows Plate current about 300ma, 0 idle
> current?? Ideas?? Soft Tubes??

Hmmm....I am having a similar problem with my SB-200. In
my case, it turns out that the grid circuit has too much
series resistance, which reduces the idle current to almost
nothing, and reduces the high final plate current at the
same time.

The SB-200 uses a high negative bias to cut-off the final
plate current when the amp is NOT keyed, and this bias is
used to operate the antenna relay when keyed. That bias is
removed from the grids when the amp is keyed, dropping
bias to the correct -2 VDC.

In MY case, the high bias is, apparently, caused by high
resistance in the MOSFET switch used in my Harback SK-
201 soft-key device, which should show zero ohms when
"closed" but in this case does not.

I have not yet checked the grid and/or antenna relay circuit
in the SB-220, but if it is of a similar design, something like
that may be your problem.

I would check the grid bias voltage when the amp is keyed,
but with no drive. If that is not at the rated level, then I
would suspect high resistance somewhere where it
shouldn't be.

BTW, this too-high bias also forces the amp out of the
proper linear Class (AB1, AB2, B) into something far less
linear and may drastically increase distortion products.

Ken Gordon W7EKB