NEED INFO ON HEATH KEYER SA5010

JF lhouseparker at LIVINGSTON.NET
Sun Sep 19 12:43:01 EDT 2010

k2sse wrote:
> Hi
> Got this unit from an estate but no paperwork,paddles or
 > wallart/power supply. It is physically in good shape but don't
 > even know what voltage/current rating it needs to power it up.
> Can someone please advise me?
> Thank you   Al

A word of advice on using the paddles:

they are capacitive touch paddles - that is, they don't move,
you just touch them with your fingertips to send code, and there
are sensitivity/volume/pitch pots accessible through holes in
the bottom. Such touch paddles systems never became widely used,
one reason being that variations in fingertip moisture and
pressure caused unreliable keying: for example, if you set it up
when your fingers are sweating or otherwise moist, and later try
keying when dry, then it will seemingly randomly miss some dots
and ashes. This can be alleviated by setting paddle sensitivity
and using it with a long piece of aluminum foil (or bare metal
tabletop) extending from under your bare forearm to under the
whole keyer base.

A better way to use it: there's a 3-pin jack on the back
labeled EXT PADDLE - find a plug and use it with conventional
mechanical paddles, like Bencher.

A potential problem: the early production run had a circuit error
that reduced the memory capacity - you can find out if yours has
it by following the how-to-use steps in the manual and counting
the characters as you load them into memory. If you get an error
tone long before reaching rated capacity, then you have an early
model. I don't think Heath published notes for a field fix; I had
to send mine back to the factory.

The internal watch-type memory keep-alive batteries are a pain in
the butt to change, and not particularly long-lived - if you can
do without permanently storing stuff in memory, I'd recommend
removing them and just using the wall-wart.

If you open the case beware of static electricity on your fingers
and tools - the CPU can easily be zapped and I don't think
replacements are available. Nor are new numerical keypads.

73
John   KE5ZB