[Heath] Farewell, GR-2000

Brian Wood wood at lpbroadband.net
Tue Feb 8 11:23:29 EST 2011

A sad day. I remember all too well the day my parents called to say they
were replacing the GR-295 color TV that I built in 1965 at the ripe old age
of 14 with a more modern GE set. My dad and I had actually installed it in
the wall, so we had "hang-on-a-wall" color TV in 1965 - something only
possible with the Heathkit line, since you did not have to buy it with the
wood cabinet! Ironically, the GE was the only one dad could get to fit in
the opening, and he had to settle for a 19" model. The GR-295 looked much
better there.

They asked if I wanted it, and I had to say no. It was old, tube-based, and
I really had no place to put it. It was the second kit I ever built, the
first being my GR-64 shortwave receiver (which I still have and which still
works as badly as it did when first built!). Indeed, the GR-295 and the H-89
are the only two Heathkits I ever built that I no longer own.

Fond memories!

73,

Brian, W0DZ