No subject

Mon Jan 10 18:43:28 EST 2011

>I'll post the dial fix for the borken HW-16 dial just in case someone
else
can also use it.  If your dial is already in good shape, you might want
read this anyway.

The round plastic dial is normally driven by a springy brass
pinch-roller.
After some age, abuse etc, the plastic becomes brittle and breaks.
leaving a
notch beyond which the dial no longer turns. These rigs were once turned
into parts units when this happened.  Someone on the net sells
replacement
dials for about $20 but that is half what I paid for the HW-16! This fix
is
nearly free and you can't tell it from stock on the ouside. As a bonus
the
dial is now smoother!  An old CD (doesn't have to be AOL ;o) is used to
replace the original broken raceway and it's just a little smaller than
the
old dial but very round and close enough.  The rubber grommet is for a
one-sixteenth inch panel and is about one-half inch in diameter.  I
bought
several at a hamfest to make sure I got a good size.  Start by removing
the
old dial and pinch roller drive shaft.

First the hole of the CD must be enlarged so that the brass collar of the
original dial will fit over it. Do this carefully so that the hole is
enlarged equally in all directions just enough to fit over the collar.
The
original track that the old pinch roller followed around the dial must be
notched out to expose the CD which will now be used as a pinch way for
the
new drive. Make this notched arc only large enough to expose the CD so
that
it won't show from the panel.  I used a sheet metal nibbler to notch it
out.  On my unit the notched arc starts at 180 mark on the dial and goes
around for 180 degrees to a point past  the high end.

Now afix the CD to the dial with 4 short 4-40 screws and nuts.  (I
suppose
you could glue it to the dial with a silicon adheasive). The arc that you
just cut in the old dial now exposes a thin but adequate ring of fresh
plastic from the CD and it's very concentric if you've been careful with
fitting the CD to it.  Install the new assembly back on the capacitor
shaft.  At this point one might be able to use the old pinch roller, but
found a better way. Dissassemble the pinch roller and rearrange the
spring
and old pinch roller halves around each side of a small rubber grommet to
form a rubber roller. Now re-install the roller and shaft  and adjust
both
the shaft position and depth so that it now grips the exposed portion of
the
CD rom.

I don't have an original HW-16 manual to get the correct terminology for
these parts but hope that my weak English will suffice and that you can
see
from that how it was done.<

73's,

al winfrey - wa9hsl