No subject

Mon Jan 10 18:43:28 EST 2011

distinctive styles of AK-5 speakers (one type with
"flush" type sides, the other with a groove about 3/4
inches behind the front) it seems that the vast
majority of speakers are of the flush type.  Only one
reply came through with another "groove" type speaker
and that unit has been documented to be with a very
early Mohawk that has never left Benton Harbor!

Thus, I have decided to "get rid of" one of my AK-5
speakers (only have one Mohawk, so only need one
speaker!).  Of course, I am keeping the "groove"
model!

I have completely "stripped" the finish from the wood
case (the original paint was badly chipped), sanded,
primed, and repainted with Apache Green from Total
Electronics.  The grill was in excellent condition so
nothing has been done with it except to clean it.  The
original speaker was completely "dried out" and was
dragging so it has been replaced with a brand new,
full range, dual cone, 8 inch round speaker.  Even the
original mounting holes fit the new speaker exactly!
The speaker cable has been replaced with new "zip"
cord as was used on the original.  The Heathkit "logo"
has been "re-chromed" with a spray-on type of
automotive finish.

The only real "marr" is that on the rear of the left
hand side of the housing there is a small, oblong,
defect in the original wood that would not
satisfactorily sand out.  I even tried some wood
filler, but it still can be seen.  Not a bad defect,
but I try to let everyone know if there is anything
that is "wrong" with the unit.  I can see defects in
one of the other two AK-5 speakers that I have in my
hands right now (one doesn't belong to me).

Anyway, this speaker is in excellent physical and
electrical condition (I never use the term "mint"
because that means something that has never been in
service, in the original box, etc.).  However, it is
one of the better looking AK-5 speakers that you can
find.  The price is not cheap because of all of the
work needed to get it in shape plus the cost of the
new speaker.

$140 plus shipping from 75080.

Glen, K9STH

=====