[Heath] SB-1000 high swr on transmit.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Mon Jan 24 15:33:29 EST 2011

On 24 Jan 2011 at 11:07, Jan Sluchak wrote:

>     Hello to the group. I am putting my SB-1000 back on line after a
>     few years of no place to operate. With nothing having been done to
>     the amp, I notice that when the amp is on standby, my swr into my
>     steppir on 40 meters is 1.1. When I put the amp in line and go to
>     tune, no better than 9:1 to 12:1. I am driving with Elecraft K3
>     and keying with the elecrafts keyer. Could the tube have gone bad
>     from sitting?

Not likely, although some component could have failed.

> Thank you for any suggestions to start looking. Jan
>     N6YV Reno, NV

The first question I would have is...where is your SWR meter connected?

Is it between the amp and the antenna, or between the K3 and the amp?

If the SWR meter is between the K3 and the amp, then the problem is within
the amp, most likely in the input circuitry, but it is also possible that you have
a bad cable or cable connectors, or the antenna switching relay has bad or
corroded contacts so that when it is activated, it isn't actually connecting your
K3 to the amp.

If it is between the amp and the antenna, then the problem is something
else, like perhaps a bad coax fitting somewhere.

Secondly, in CW, is anything getting hot when it shouldn't?

Thirdly, with the amp activated, what is your power input? Can you tune the
amp to resonance?

It sounds to me as though when you activate the amp, there is an open
circuit somewhere between the K3 and the amp.

Ken Gordon W7EKB