[Heath] Need NEW replacement knobs for Heathkit VF-1

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Tue Jun 28 14:40:05 EDT 2011

On 28 Jun 2011 at 9:34, Glen Zook wrote:

> I didn't take the comparison as a complaint!

Good. I hoped so.

>  I was just showing the
> comparison of the parts as compared to the whole.  Unfortunately,
> there are people who think that things should be priced at the
> absolute dollars decades ago instead of the present value.

...which is just plain dumb.

>  In many
> cases the cost of the materials today is more than the absolute dollar
> amount "back then" and that doesn't include labor, shipping costs, and
> so forth.

Yes.

> When my wife and I were first married, in 1965, we ate very well on
> less than $10 a week and $100 worth of groceries would more than fill
> a pickup truck.  Nowadays $100 worth of groceries will fit in 2 or 3
> large grocery bags!  I have seen people spend more than $100 on
> groceries at Walmart and everything fit in a single bag!

Yes. My dear Wife constantly complains about that.

> The cost of mailing a first class letter was 3 cents per ounce from
> the Civil War until the 1950s.  Today the cost is still 3 cents per
> ounce.  The remainder of the cost of a stamp is for storage costs
> since, on average, it now takes longer for a letter to get from place
> to place!

Back in the late 1920s, one could go into a car dealership and buy a
brand new car for 20 each $20.00 gold pieces.

You can STILL go into a car dealership and buy a brand new car for 20
each $20.00 gold pieces....since gold is now about "$1000.00" per
ounce.

IMHO, the state of our economy and value for work done is criminal.

Ken W7EKB