[Heath] SB 200 Amp shipping question

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Mar 2 16:14:29 EST 2011

On 2 Mar 2011 at 13:49, Dana Cobb wrote:

> Hi group:
>  I am selling a SB 200 Rf Amp. I was asked by a buyer in Poland what shipping costs
> would be from Florida. I just checked with the USPS and they want $ 760.00.

As I understand it, the reason for this is that any item over a
certain size is actually shipped via FedEx on contract to the
USPS.

> UPS wanted over $
> 800. Anyone shipped a heavy unit like this (41 pounds) overseas by a different means at a
> cheaper cost? Thanks in advance, Dana - K1RQ

Dana:

It isn't so much the weight as it is the physical SIZE of the
shipping container.

The cheapest way to ship anything of reasonable size to Europe
is via the U.S. Post Office. For the exact rates, you have to have
the package all prepared, take it to them, and let them figure it
out.

UPS and FedEx rates are simply horrendous in all cases.

I have shipped various electronic items to Europe, Australia, and
Japan, and learned the hard way. Unless the item fits the USPS'
size requirements, I won't ship it.

In one case, I had a large-ish, but light, part that was needed in
Poland by an organization that was restoring a B-24, and I ended
up shipping it through the Polish Embassy in Washington D.C.

The final addressee in Poland had contacts in the Polish
Embassy.

You might suggest your buyer contact the Polish Embassy
officials in the U.S. to see if something similar couldn't be
arranged.

Ken W7EKB