[Heath] SB301 / 401 Transceive operation AGC

WB4LNM at aol.com WB4LNM at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 17:49:23 EDT 2011

I have just finished putting all new electrolytic caps and tubes and
resistors where needed in a set of SB301 / 401 twins for the local  University
radio club.  The tune up went fine, and the audio really sounds  excellent.

The set has only been operated a couple of times on the air since then, and
 it probably sat for 4-5 years with no operation before my refurbishment.
My sense is that *occasionally* the AGC in the receiver is slow to  recover
after coming out of transmit.  Not always, but sometimes.

Since there are many aficionados of this fine transmitter-receiver pair on
the list, I thought before probing I'd first ask for any 'frequently made
repairs' in the AGC if this is a common symptom.  No need reinventing the
wheel.  Perhaps I just need to get in and clean the relay contacts or
something.  The AGC seems to work nicely otherwise, including the off /  fast /
slow switch.

Many thanks for your time in reading this and for your responses.   73

John...   WB4LNM      "One of the Hams  from Heath"