[Heath] SB-110 VFO's

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Tue Apr 17 18:52:08 EDT 2012

On 17 Apr 2012 at 15:31, George Babits wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> From what I've heard so far the LMO for the SB-110 runs the opposite
> way as they do for the rest of the SB series.

That makes sense: the LMO frequency may be in an opposite relationship to
the heterodyne and output frequencies. In the HF rigs, the heterodyne
oscillator frequency is ABOVE the output frequency, and the LMO must tune
approrpiately (LMO tuning DOWN means the output goes UP). In the 6
meter rig, the heterodyne oscillator frequency may be BELOW the output
frequency, in which case the LMO must tune the opposite direction.

>  Being marked 110-48
> leads me to assume that this was probably made for the SB-110, but
> maybe not.  I haven't fired it up to see which way it tracks yet.

OK. Well, let us know which it is.

\> S-3Line.   If I can get the SB-110 resurected I may tackle conversion
> of an HW-12A to 160,  That looks like a pretty simple conversion.

I would be very intereted in what you finally do to convert one.

Heathkit DID make a 160 meter version of those SSB rigs that were made
for shipboard or CAP use, the HW-18-3, but it is very rare. Also, they were
crystal controlled, although Heathkit LMOs are not rare and it wouldn't be all
that difficult to modify an HW-18 with one.

Ken W7EKB